Sunday 9 September 2012

Interior Castle (Jude-Thaddeus Nsani)

The Spirit seems to move me to this work!

My names are Nsani Jude-Thaddeus Wainkoa from the Mill Hill Missionaries and my registration number is 11031T, class C. The spiritual classic I have chosen is the “Interior Castle” of St. Teresa of Avila. The Interior Castle was written in 1577 and it’s ranged as one of the most important and ordered work of St. Teresa of Avila which studied is as part of mystical theology. This spiritual work is known by her sometimes as “The Mansion”, due to the fact that she was inspired through a vision in which she saw a mansion with heavenly realities and evil outside the Mansion. This work was written towards the end of her life. She was a Nun in the convent of Our Lady of Carmel and she was asked to write so as to improve the prayer life of the nuns in the convent. In this regard, she addresses the work to the nuns in the convent. She is presented in the piece of work as very prayerful and obedient nun and fully disposed to do the 1will of God. She was fully prepared to die and at the same time with her ill health trusted that God will preserve her till the work is accomplished. She was a courageous nun for the very fact she wrote during the time of inquisition in which heretics were gravely punished. She dedicated this work to the Holy Trinity, in the convent of St. Joseph of Carmel in Toledo. She was a very humble nun and publicly declared her limitedness and how reliable she is to make errors. She placed all her trust in God and she believed He will do it for her.
Concerning my motivations of choosing this spiritual classic, it’s the work of the Holy Spirit that motivated me. This is because God wanted me to learn something from this “Interior Castle” of St. Teresa of Avila. Secondly, this saint is one of those whom my Society is dedicated to and my home parish, I took this as an opportunity to know more of her life and writings. Thirdly, having a passive look through the work, I discovered that it will not just affect me intellectually but it will help me in my spiritual life. By reading the introduction and the conclusion to this work I was motivated, by the great sense of humility, obedience, courage, faith, love of God and of the nuns portrayed by her in and out of the convent she lived. Above all, her life itself was prayer and she helped others to pray. These are some of the motivations I had. Worth noting is the fact that there was an inner urge that I should go through this spiritual classic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment