Friday 7 September 2012

Story of A Soul (Patrick Musyimi)


Name: Patrick Kitaka Musyimi O.Carm
Reg. No. 11123T
Book Title: Story of A Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
She like me was a Carmelite!
St. Therese Martin, The Little Flower, was born on 2nd January, 1873 at Alencon in Lisieux, France. She is the 9th child (last born) of Her father Louis Martin who was a watchmaker and her mother Zelie Guerin. Out of the nine children, only five girls survived but their two boys and two girls died at their infancy. She sought permission from her father, prioress, Bishop but when it seemed difficult she went even to Pope to obtain permission to join the Carmelites Nuns when she was 14. At last, by grace of God she joined the Carmelite convent at Lisieux when she was 15years old. She took a new religious name of Sr. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face. In carmel she lived a normal life as a nun, sacristan and assistant novice  directress. Her life was short lived but to the full in absolute trust to God despite her bad health. She died of Tuberclosis at age of 24, on 30th September, 1897. She was canonized on 17th May, 1925 by Pope Pius XI and in 1997 Pope John Paul II declared her as a Doctor of the church. The church holds her highly as the Patroness of Missions.
My Motivation for choosing the spiritual classic of The Story of a Soul: the Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, is that as a Carmelite she inspires me to walk in the path she walked and live the Carmelite way of life she lived. Her persue of life dream of becoming a saint  since she was a child invites me to embrace the call to sainthood: “He who called you is holy, be holy yourself in every aspect of your conduct” (1Pt. 1:15). This  I will achieve by consecrating myself totally to God like the Little Flower did. In a special way I’m touched and motivated by her spirituality which marked her whole life which entails: confidence and love, the Little Way, abandonment to God’s Merciful love, and love as her vocation in the Church.


Reflection: ‘I choose all’ St. Therese’s Fundamental choice (23rd September)

I was touched by the fundamental choice of The Little Flower, when she said: “I choose all… I do not want to be saint by halves.” St. Therese is teaching me that I should make the right  choice as regards the priorities in life. Like her, I should choose all, that is to make a fundamental option for Jesus who is the all in all because with him, I will have everything and lacking nothing. This I can realise by living my vocation in Carmel of living in allegiance to Jesus Christ. I should not double deal  in serving two masters not to give Jesus half of myself and the other to the world but to completely give myself to Jesus as St. Therese did all her life.
The Little  Flower of Carmel is challeging me to examine and purify my motivation of joining Carmel. For St. Therese, her only motivation to join Carmel  was Jesus, nothing more nothing less. In the same case, my joining religious life in carmel should not be tied to hidden ajendas; for instance, seeking security in life, to lead a good life or for personal glorification. But the only motivation should be Jesus alone whom I am to live for, serve and love him all the days of my life.
Therese’s vocation was love. She lived with love in love for Jesus and this was her central focus in her life. She surrendered totally to Jesus in love by being a victim of his love. A reality she embraced by her act of oblation to the merciful love of Jesus on 9th June, 1895. She is drawing me to dedicate myself and respond to the unconditional love of God since love is repaid by love as St. Therese says. Her vocation of love too has to be mine, to give myself to Jesus like herself, who has loved me first and to serve him. This aspect is crowned by Therese’s words: “It was love alone that made the Church members act, that if love ever became extinct, Apostles would not preach the Gospel and Martyrs would not shed their blood…” I here by, inspired by the Little Flower proclaim together with her: “O Jesus, my love… my vocation at last I have found it… my vacation is love.” Therefore, I have learnt from St. Therese  that I should freely opt for Jesus my all,  as my fundamental option. lastly, love is my vocation too and should be my motivation and inspiration for everyday that I have to live.



Story of A Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
1.0 Introduction
This paper is a summary and reflection on St. Therese’s autobiography, ‘Story of a Soul.’ I will first present the person of Therese, give a brief summary of her autobiography, which has three sections: manuscript A, manuscript B, maniscript C,  highlighting only her central themes of her spirituality and lastly give my reflection basing on how she has touched me.
2.0 The Person of Therese of Lisieux
 St. Therese Martin, The Little Flower, was born on 2nd January, 1873 at Alencon in Lisieux, France. She is the 9th child (last born) of her father, Louis Martin who was a watchmaker and her mother Zelie Guerin. Out of the nine children, only five girls survived but their two boys and two girls died at their infancy.
She sought permission to join Carmel from her father, prioress, Bishop. When it seemed difficult, she went even to Pope to obtain permission to join the Carmelites Nuns when she was 14 years. At last, by grace of God she joined the Carmelite convent at Lisieux when she was 15years old. She took a new religious name of Sr. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face.
 In Carmel she lived a normal life as a nun, sacristan and assistant novice  directress. Her life was short lived but to the full in absolute trust in God despite her bad health. She died of Tuberclosis at age of 24, on 30th September, 1897. She was canonized on 17th May, 1925 by Pope Pius XI and in 1997 Pope John Paul II declared her as a Doctor of the church. The church holds her highly as the Patroness of Missions.
3.0 Manuscript A
Manuscript A is about “story of a little white flower.”[1]She sees herself as a little flower gathered by Jesus hence she surrenderd whole heartly to him.  According to the confessions of St. Therese, this first section, she dedicated it to her blood sister Rev. Mother Agnes of Jesus. She did it in obedience to her after she had requested her to write about her chilhood mommories (experiences). In it she hightlights the following aspects of her spirituality:
3.1 Her Desires
St. Therese in this story of a Soul, presents her deep desires which directed her whole life. They are: life of Sactity, to love Jesus, to do the will of God, passion for souls, to suffer for the sake of Christ, become a martry of Love and to be a saint. Her fundamental decision to become a saint was her great desire which is clearly manifested in her own words when she said, “My God I choose all! I do not want to be a saint by halves.”[2] She sets the path of realising this goal by embracing self denial of her own will to embrace the will of God. This is what she means in choosing all. 
3.2 Abandonment
The Little Flower presents doctrine of abandonment as totally surrendering oneself to the Child Jesus as His playing-thing. This is manifested in her words to Jesus, “ use me as  little ball of no value which he could throw on the ground, push with his foot, pierce it, leave it at the corner, or to press to his heart if it pleased him.”[3] Thus, abandonment is giving yourself without reserve to Jesus.  
3.3 Act of Oblation to Merciful Love
St. Therese’s life dream was fullfilled when at last she joined Carmel on 9th April, 1988 despite meeting many objections but persevered until the end. The climax was at the day of her profession which she describes it as “ the beatiful day of wedding” where by she united herself with Jesus he beloved spouse.
 Deep within herself she wanted to be consumed by God’s love to completely transform and cleanse all  her sins. She viewed herself as victim of God’s love that is the recipient of love of God. In this act of oblation to merciful love of God, she takes the place of the souls closed to God’s love and stands on behalf of them. Hence she becomes victim of those souls by taking all the love that was poured to this souls who were closed to received it and also takes all panishment due to these souls apon herself.
4.0 Manuscript B
This Maniscript is a letter St. Therese which she wrote to her elder sister Marie of the Sacred Heart who had requested her to explain her spiritual discoveries, especially the doctrine of the ‘little way.’ In it she bringsforth the following aspect of her spirituality:
4.1 Therese’s Vocation is Love
Therese realised deep within her that Jesus is her love and love is her vocation. This fact is revealed in her testimony when she says, “O Jesus, My love… My vocation, at last I have found it…my vocation is love!”[4] St. Therese teaches us that this Love is the main motivation of the Church in all her activities. This is because “It was love that made the Church members act, that if love ever became extict, Apostles would not preach the gospel and martyrs would not shed their blood.”[5]
4.2 The Little Way
The little way is a way of Spiritual childhood which has its roots in the words of Prophet Isaiah when he said, “As nurselings, you shall be carried in her arms,and fondled in her lap; a mother comforts her son, so I will comfort you…” (Is. 66:12-13). Therese in establishing doctrine of the little way, she was also inspired by the saying of Jesus when he said: “Let the little children come to me” (Mk. 10:13-15). She views herself as a little child carried in her mothers arms and if she has to continue being carried then she has to remain little.
Her little way, is a way of  love and confidence. Just as a child lifts her hand in a gesture of confidence in order to be carried, we have to abandon ourselves in the hands of Jesus. The image of St. Therese of being caried implies that, first we have to trust in the person who is carrying us that he has the strength and believe he will bring us to our destination. Secondly, we pressume that the person carrying us knows the the way. Lastly, we have to surrender to the one carrying us, that is to give up contol. In this case, just like St. Therese we have to surrender in confidence and trust in Jesus. This is because he knows the way and at the same time he is the way to our final destination that is the union with God.
5.0 Manuscript C
St. Therese addressed this maniscript to Mother Marie de Gonzague in which she presents following main themes:
5.1 The Divine Elevator
From St. Therese’s self knowledge, she discovered that she could not do anything by herself. For instance, she is not able to climb the rough stairs of perfection because of her limitations and the fact that she is small.[6] For this reasons, she discovers that she needs an elevator which she says is the arms of Jesus who is the divine elevator, the shortest way to heaven.[7] In this respect she also sees herself as a bird that only know how to lift its wings but doesn’t know how to fly. The lesson she is teaching us here is that we need to stretch our hands to Jesus and he will carry us to the bossom of God our Father.
5.2 Therese’s Prayer
Therese defines prayer as  “an aspiration of the heart, it is a simple glance directed to heaven, it is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy; it is something great, supernatural, which expands my soul and unite me to Jesus.”[8]
6.0 Personal Reflections and Impact of St. Therese in my Life
My Motivation for choosing the spiritual classic of The Story of a Soul: the Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, is that as a Carmelite she inspires me to walk in the path she walked and live the Carmelite way of life she lived. Her persue of life dream of becoming a saint  since she was a child invites me to embrace the call to sainthood: “He who called you is holy, be holy yourself in every aspect of your conduct” (1Pt. 1:15). This  I will achieve by consecrating myself totally to God like the Little Flower did.
I was touched by the fundamental choice of The Little Flower, when she said: “I choose all… I do not want to be saint by halves.”[9] St. Therese is teaching me that I should make the right  choice as regards the priorities in life. Like her, I should choose all, that is to make a fundamental option for Jesus who is the all in all because with him, I will have everything and lacking nothing. This I can realise by living my vocation in Carmel of living in allegiance to Jesus Christ. I should not double deal  in serving two masters so as not to give Jesus half of myself and the other to the world but to completely give myself to Jesus as St. Therese did all her life.
The Little  Flower of Carmel, is challeging me to examine and purify my motivations of joining Carmel. For St. Therese, her only motivation to join Carmel  was Jesus, nothing more nothing less. In the same case, my joining reliligious life in carmel should not be tied to hidden ajendas; for instance, seeking security in life, to lead a good life or for personal glorification. But the only motivation should be Jesus alone whom I am to live for, serve and love him all the days of my life.
Therese’s vocation was love. She lived with love in love for Jesus and this was her central focus in her life. She surrendered totally to Jesus in love to be a victim of love. A reality she embraced by her act of oblation to the merciful love of Jesus on 9th June, 1895. She is drawing me to dedicate myself and respond to the unconditional love of God since “love is repaid by love alone”[10] as St. Therese says.
Her vocation of love too has to be mine, to give myself to Jesus like herself, who has loved me first and to serve him. This aspect is crowned by Therese’s words: “It was love alone that made the church members act, that if love ever became extinct, Apostles would not preach the gosple and martyrs would not shed their blood…”[11] I here by, inspired by the Little Flower proclaim together with her: “O Jesus, my love… my vocation at last I have found it… my vacation is love.”[12] Therefore, I have learnt from St. Therese  that love is my vocation too and should be my motivation and inspiration for everday that I have to live.
7.0 Conclusion
 After reading the St. Therese’s story of a Soul, I must confess that it has left a great impact in my life. In a special way I’m touched and motivated by her spirituality which marked her whole life which entails: confidence and love, the Little Way, abandonment to God’s Merciful love, and love as her vocation in the Church.

8.0 Bibliography
Therese, St., Story of A Soul: The Autobiographx of St. Therese of Lisieux, 3rd ed., Washington, D.C: ICS Publications 1996.      


       [1] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 13.
       [2] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 27.
       [3] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 132.
       [4] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 194.
       [5] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 194.
       [6] Cf. Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 207.
       [7] Cf. Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 208.
       [8] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 242.
       [9] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 27.
       [10] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 195.
       [11] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 194.
       [12] Therese, St., Story of A Soul, 194.



No comments:

Post a Comment